Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814471 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2018, 09:17:16 PM »
Thanks mate.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
Hi Pen ,

... however if I had been thinking of you, then I would have found it within a second.

Geez, mate, I never would have guessed you had such style and panache
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »

Hi Pen ,

This spoiler alert is specifically aimed at you which is why I kept it in this thread although you are generally pretty good at finding the big words, you probably won't even need it but just in case you do, here's the clue.

The big word in this game was one of the last that I found however if I had been thinking of you, then I would have found it within a second.

Oh Les I love it!  Jack's right you most certainly do have a certain style & panache :-*
You two just keep making me laugh!
I didn't really get the joke about Bluey's father though I can probably work it out.  Perhaps one of you could explain...
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
The teacher quickly set the other children some work and took little Bluey aside to ask if that was really true. 'No' said Billy 'he plays Rugby for the Queensland Reds, but I was just too embarrassed to say'.

Looks like that joke is about a decade out-of-date. The Queensland Reds have had a pretty darn good record since 2010.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
I didn't really get the joke about Bluey's father though I can probably work it out.  Perhaps one of you could explain...

Pen, the original of the joke that I pinched from the internet had the father playing Cricket for Britain.  As you know, I like to stir Les up so I had to find something to poke a bit of fun at Queensland.

I don't actively follow Cricket  or Soccer (I believe you call it Football) so I don't know how Queensland is going in the Sheffield Shield or the A-League and I positively could not use Rugby League because the Maroons (Qld) have thrashed the Blues (NSW) for the last hundred years in a row (more than 10 anyway) and so that left me with Rugby Union.  In the international series between New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Argentina the only Australian side to show much form has been the Brumbies (ACT) and one year the Waratahs (NSW) looked promising but the Reds (Qld) have had a rough trot.

I realised the joke lost something in the adaptation but at least it didn't put you Poms offside and I've presumed Les has a hide almost as thick as my own so it would be water off a duck's back to him.
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
Quack, quack!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:32:00 AM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 21, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
Les, I thought I saw a comment from you that it might be a good idea to rename this thread and move it into the "Whatever" section if that were possible. Well, it is possible! For me, at least. (I can't find that remark of yours now - probably you've gone and deleted the only sensible comment in the whole topic.)

I propose to relocate the topic and call it "More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)", but since you started the topic I'll let you have the final say.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 21, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
Looks like that joke is about a decade out-of-date. The Queensland Reds have had a pretty darn good record since 2010.

Trex, you've caught me out.  Although I played 1st grade Rugby (1961-66), I don't actively follow it now, and I confess, I didn't do any research.  Being a basically egocentric person as many old people are, I only actively follow the sports that I play and these days I only play golf (badly).  I couldn't use golf in the joke because the Queensanders claim Greg Norman, Jason Day and Adam Scott (although he was originally South Australian).

But for the record I have done a little research with the following result E&OE:

Brumbies:  Winners: 2001, 2004; Runners Up: 1997, 2000, 2002, 2013; Finalists: 2003,2014;2015
Waratahs: Winners: 2014; Runners Up; 2005,2008; Finalists: 2002, 2006,2010,2015
Reds: Winners; 2011 Finalists:1996,1999,2001

Bluey was only one year old the year the Reds won so I think he can be forgiven for not remembering their moment  of glory. ;)
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
Les, I thought I saw a comment from you that it might be a good idea to rename this thread and move it into the "Whatever" section if that were possible. Well, it is possible! For me, at least. (I can't find that remark of yours now - probably you've gone and deleted the only sensible comment in the whole topic.)

I propose to relocate the topic and call it "More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)", but since you started the topic I'll let you have the final say.

I cannot tell a lie it was me >:D.  I love your new topic title and I appreciate your dry sense of humour - I think
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #340 on: February 21, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Alan,

It should be no surprise to you that such a sensible comment did not come from me.
I am more than happy to go along with your very clever title as you move us to the appropriate section & would just like to say thanks for allowing us to carry on with our posts which are "more or less" mostly just nonsense & a bit of fun.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:01:28 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #341 on: February 21, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »
Thanks for that Alan & as promised I will stop hijacking Jane's thread & reply to Stan's post in this section.

Les, sorry to try to get a rise out of you.

'Coz you seem to be a very nice bloke,
for a Queenslander.

A lady I was talking to the other day said she had a smart Alec brother, but she thinks most people do. I said I don't, but I think my brothers do!

Absolutely no apology necessary,  as a very astute fellow forumite pointed out,  it is indeed just like water off a ducks back.

I was / am  the youngest & definitely the cheekiest in my family.
I suppose that it was because I was the youngest that I was able to get away with so much & of course when things did get out of hand, I could always rely on Mum to get me out of strife.
I was about 12 years old when my stepfather came into my life, within a very short time, he decided to give us all nicknames & started calling me " larrikin " , I can't even remember what the nicknames were that he gave to the other siblings because they never stuck but mine certainly did as he continued to refer to me as " larrikin " until the day he died.
Of course I continued with my larrikin behaviour at school & even when I entered the workforce so their have been plenty of occasions over the years where my joking around has got me into all sorts of trouble so I am quite adept at taking responsibility for & dealing with any negative responses to my actions.
As I've grown a bit older I have mellowed quite a lot & toned down my behaviour which is probably the only reason that I haven't been kicked off this site ... yet!

Les303

« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
    How lucky was I to very quickly stumble upon Chi in September 2012!?! (Through Google) 

Alan, if it is not to difficult or inappropriate, I am curious to know who is the player that has been continuously registered for the longest period of time since this games inception, my money is on the legend " rogue mother " (  of course, Alan, you are exempt )

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 22, 2018, 02:42:48 AM »
Alan, if it is not to difficult or inappropriate, I am curious to know who is the player that has been continuously registered for the longest period of time since this games inception, my money is on the legend " rogue mother " (  of course, Alan, you are exempt )

Registration wasn't available when Alan first created the game. So there are several of us who have the same registration date. My registration date is 16 December 2006 (still can't believe it's been that long!). I think some may have an earlier date, though, because of differences in time zones. For example, Roberts has 15 December 2006 as his.

R_M's registration date is 12 July 2007.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 22, 2018, 03:36:15 AM »

I propose to relocate the topic and call it "More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)",

Thanks Alan I'm with Jack & Les!  It's a great new title.  Very appropriate!
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...