Author Topic: The More Words to Find, the More I Miss  (Read 4853 times)

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: The More Words to Find, the More I Miss
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »

One technique I used in my early days of playing Chi was to take 5 letters from the grid (always including the key letter of course) and put only them on the shuffleboard.
Using today's 'Standard' game as an example, you might select the top left to bottom right diagonal - E, D, A, G, N - and, by using the shuffle facility, see how many words you can find. When you are fairly sure you have got everything that can be made from those 5 letters, choose another 5 (perhaps the other diagonal or the 5 letters at the top half or the bottom half of the grid) and do the same again.

This technique should throw out  all of the four- and five- letter words in any game - roughly 75% of the common words in today's 'standard' game, for instance. (I don't think that needs a spoiler warning; I think that's true of all 9-letter games.)

Nice tip, I'll try that.

My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Les303

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 07:20:47 PM »
My understanding is that our brilliant administrator developed Chihuahua based on word games such as Target.

So lets go back in time for a little bit...

Stanley, Mike & Jack have boarded the train at Nambour ( they have left Les behind at the pub, he's on a good thing ) it is a 2 hour trip to Brisbane.
They all have their copy of the daily newspaper, so just for a bit of fun lets see who can achieve the target first & being such a friendly trio they ask the 3 strangers sitting across from them if they would like to participate. ( who knew that those 3 strangers, in years to come, would be able to achieve perfect scores in every day in every game  in the yet to be invented game called chihuahua .)

With absolutely no aids ( thanks for the correction Jack ) available i would be backing Stanely to win by the smallest of margins from Mike, with the future chi experts filling the placings & of course Jack coming in last.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:23:24 PM by Les303 »

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
I would like to let it be known that since 12 October I have not been using the puzzle solvers. 

It has been a frustrating experience, so much so that last night I came to the conclusion that it is better to forget about trying to find the so-called common words.  Words such as regnant, pule, repine, karat, crape, moil, welkin, labium, albumin, mullioned, recto and celerity might be common for some people, however I had never come across them until Chi.  Even using a puzzle solver doesn't help me find these words as they are so obscure that even if I saw them on a list, I'd never think of trying them.

I have found that using the puzzle solvers has greatly increased the number of rare words I now know to play, though I might not remember what they mean.  I don't think that's cheating, that's remembering.

Just when I'd decided to give up on trying to find all the common words, on today's standard game I earned a rosette.  All by myself.

My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Les303

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2018, 03:28:55 PM »
Congratulations on achieving a " fair dinkum " rosette.
You have earned the privelege of allowing yourself to feel a great sense of pride & satisfaction in attaining this result " All by myself ".

My view is that you can not replicate this same depth of genuine feelings when gaining a similar result that was only achieved with the use of an aid.

All the best & wishing you many more " fair dinkum " rosettes in the future... Les303