Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
August 22, 2019, 11:17:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr Brexit - Nigel Farage  (Read 204 times)
mkenuk
Glossologian

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »

Nigel Farage.
The man who has done more than most to bring the UK to its knees.
I do have names for him other than 'Mr Brexit', but this is a family game.......

Seems he's been making a bit of a name for himself down under, addressing the Oz Far-Right

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/nigel-farage-prince-harry-meghan-markle-overweight-queen-mother-cpac-brexit

I don't suppose there's any chance that you would keep him in Oz, is there?

He's very fond of milkshakes, by the way

* milkshake farage.jpg (198.03 KB, 1200x630 - viewed 102 times.)
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »

He is a Richard Cranium of the highest order.  No, we don’t want to keep him.  We already have enough like him to stuff up the country.

Cheers, Jack

As I'm getting older, I feel like maybe I need to grow up a bit. - Vanessa Kirby
pat
Eulexic

Rugby, England.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »

He's a truly repulsive excuse for a human being. Did you see the disgraceful way he and his hideous cronies turned their backs when the EU anthem was being played in the EU parliament? Or the vile Ann Widdecombe's maiden speech where she said we Brits were "Oppressed people turning on the oppressors – slaves against their owners" while Farage sat sniggering next to her?
yelnats
Paronomaniac

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »

I don't suppose there's any chance that you would keep him in Oz, is there?

He's very fond of milkshakes, by the way

NZ have better milkshakes than Oz, but they probably wouldn't have let him in in the first place.
Tom
Word-meister

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »

Repulsive? He's a man with ideas that are different from yours and many, many people agree with him. Are they all, also, repulsive? Like Hillary's Deplorables? I don't have a strong view about Nigel Farage. He's Conservative and to many, it seems, that makes him Far Right. Perhaps he's simply Conservative with conservative views like half the population. I suspect more than half - but a half plus that is easily intimidated and silenced by too much Far (and not-so-far) Left static. Just saying!
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »

Cheers, Jack

As I'm getting older, I feel like maybe I need to grow up a bit. - Vanessa Kirby
pat
Eulexic

Rugby, England.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »

Repulsive? He's a man with ideas that are different from yours and many, many people agree with him. Are they all, also, repulsive? Like Hillary's Deplorables? I don't have a strong view about Nigel Farage. He's Conservative and to many, it seems, that makes him Far Right. Perhaps he's simply Conservative with conservative views like half the population. I suspect more than half - but a half plus that is easily intimidated and silenced by too much Far (and not-so-far) Left static. Just saying!

I don't believe that all Conservatives are far right but I think Farage is. Their extreme views on how the world should be run are, to me, repulsive, as indeed are those on the far left (although there seem to be far fewer of those and they appear far less dangerous). We've seen what fomenting hatred is doing in America and I don't want the same thing to happen here. Sadly we appear to be heading in that direction.
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:18:18 PM »

I certainly do not apply the epithet 'repulsive' to anyone with whose ideas I disagree, but I do draw a line at racism.

Farage is someone who likes to play the racist card whenever possible, especially while addressing those of a similar outlook to himself.
To quote one line from the report of his speech,

"....whether Prince Harry has two kids is irrelevant given there are now 2.6 billion Chinese and Indians on this Earth.”

Maybe I am over-reacting, but that remark, to me, smacks of racism.

pat
Eulexic

Rugby, England.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »

I've just read a report of that speech myself (your quote was only a single example of how awful it was, Mike), and having done so I feel not the slightest  urge to retract my statement that I find Nigel Farage repulsive. People like him may well only address audiences who share similar views  but it empowers them and hardens their views ("Send them back,  send them back." Would people have started chanting that if not encouraged to do so by Trump?)

I actually blame the media for a lot of what's wrong in the world today, not because they caused it but because they give people like Farage too much publicity.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:49:25 PM by pat » Logged
ridethetalk
Neophyte

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »

I'm 100% with you on that Pat...  Tongue Undecided Cry

The media is certainly an issue, however they may simply be echoing the values of their owners.  Undecided
I find the dog-whistling especially repugnant.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:47:30 PM by ridethetalk » Logged

The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use.
Set aside September 20th to support the Global Strike for Climate...
Hobbit
Glossologian

Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 11:44:36 PM »

I'm not enamoured of any of the current crop of politicians.  At the other end of the spectrum there are the left wing Marxists that are Corbyn & McDonnell. 
TRex
Glossologian

~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 05:49:41 AM »

I think it should be possible to find a person's opinions repulsive without demonising the person (e.g. labelling the person 'repulsive'). The trend in the US of A has, unfortunately, been towards demonising others, refusing to truly listen to those with whom we disagree and living in a news/social 'bubble' where we only hear views with which we already agree — which reinforces thinking our views are 'right' (and other views are 'wrong') and 'normal' (and other views 'out of touch').
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »

I think we can separate the man and his work in art, but I don't think it is possible in politics,
We can admire the paintings of, say, Caravaggio, without worrying too much about the personal life and the sexual proclivities of the artist who produced them.

In politics, it is far more difficult to separate the man from the ideas.

To take an extreme example, we could say that the evidence points to  Adolf Hitler being genuinely fond of children, loving his dogs and being loved by Fraulein Eva Braun, so perhaps he wasn't such a bad chap after all!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: